Monday, April 26, 2010

Meal 60

A friend of mine recently attended a "Women of Joy" conference & brought me home a "Taste of Joy" cookbook....first of all - I LOVE gifts, so I was thrilled & secondly -  I thought it was full of thoughtfulness b/c she knows that I'm trying to cook these 300 meals!!  And tonight, that cookbook truly brought joy to our home with an amazing recipe. 

I think the recipe "Spinach Squares" is actually in the appetizer section of the book, but it turned into our main dish for the night & it was WONDERFUL! 
Here it goes:
1/2 stick margarine (I used butter as always)
1/2 onion, finely chopped (I used 2 large green onions out of our garden)
8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms (I used a small can of mushrooms)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (didn't have these either, so I substituted 1/4 cup polenta)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon pepper, oregano, basil (I used fresh oregano & basil from our backporch)
2 (10 ounce) packages of chopped frozen spinach, thawed & drained (instead of frozen, we used fresh from our garden)

Saute butter with onions & mushrooms.  Combine rest of ingredients with onion & mushroom mixture.  Place in greased 9x13 inch baking dish.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cut into squares.

We ate this with home-made yeast rolls & fresh green onions.  It was wonderful!!
60 meals down, 240 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment