Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Juicing - The Summary

I've blogged about juicing for ten days now & I have some "summary" thoughts on this subject.

1. Juicing absolutely, without a doubt, changes the way you feel - for the better.  This must be the result of the large amount of nutrients going into your body from the juice.  Most glasses of juice contain more fruits and vegetables than I would actually sit down and eat at a time.  For example, the juice in my glass right now contains one half a pineapple, one pint of strawberries and one half of a lemon.  While it is possible for me to sit down and eat all of that right now, I probably won't.  However through juicing I can put all the nutrients from those into my body...it really is a great option.

2. We will continue juicing - we are hooked. How hooked are we?  My thirteen year old son was begging me at 9:55 last night to fix him a glass of fresh juice before he went to bed. I told him no, but had to promise him that I would have some ready for him first thing in the morning.  And since this has begun everyone else has come to me at some point asking the same thing...will you fix me some juice?  They really don't even care what it is, they just want the juice.  Well, that's not entirely true, the girls aren't ready for the mean green juice, neither am I! I'm guessing we will continue with at least one glass of fresh juice a day.

3. Juicing makes a mess.  The juicer is an efficient power tool for the kitchen, but it is messy to clean up and has to be cleaned after each use.  While most fruits and vegetables can be juiced whole, some chopping, cleaning, etc still has to be done. The bright side for us is that all of the leftover pulp and discards can be fed to our chickens and pigs.  For those of you without the extra animals, those discards can be composted.  I even think there are some recipes of other things you can do with the "pulp" from the juicer, but I haven't tried those and might never.



4. Juicing can be expensive.  Let's go back to the pitcher of juice I have just made. One pineapple - $2.99, one quart strawberries - $1.99 and one half lemon - $.59.  That's $5.57.  And that will make two full glasses of juice, which come to about $2.79 a glass.  Sometimes our glasses might be more expensive than that, sometimes less, but I'd say that's a good average.  I think it's worth the cost.

5. Now that we've experienced juicing, I want to put more effort into trying the fresh fruit and vegetable smoothies. I'll keep you posted on what we try.

No comments:

Post a Comment