Monday, February 13, 2012

Juicing - Day Three & Four

Day three was a busy day.  I won't go through everything we did, but I will summarize our favorites for that day.  We raise a large garden and can tomatoes through the summer, so I pulled out a couple of quarts from last summer & made Tony & I two different tomato based juices.  Mine was simply one quart of canned tomatoes with one clove of fresh garlic.  Those two simple ingredients were amazing & so very filling.  I couldn't believe what the garlic did to the flavor. I loved it!

For Tony's I did the same, except I added two whole tomatillos one whole green pepper and one quarter of a bunch of fresh cilantro.  The whole green pepper was also from last year's garden. I had frozen a bag of them whole (I do that sometimes at the end of the summer when I get lazy!)  I figured this combo would mimic a cilantro/tomatillo salsa that we love.  And evidently it worked because he loved it.  The only thing he said he would change would be to add a little more heat so we dashed in a little hot sauce in it.  I wish I had thought about taking out some frozen jalapenos to add, but I didn't!

Today is Day Four & I made our first "family sized" pitcher of juice to get everyone's day started.  We added one whole fresh pineapple (skinned & cored), one and a half cups of pitted fresh cherries, three cups of fresh strawberries, two apples, and three cups of spinach.  Everyone drank it & thought it was great.
I don't think the kids would have drank a glass of this on the first day, it's just not attractive.  I had read where you should start with basic fruit mixtures, like we have done & gradually add in more vegetables.  So that advice seems to have worked for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment