Tuesday, November 1, 2011

24 Days of Pumpkin Begins Now!

We have lots of pumpkins left over from this year's farmer's market. So, in  an effort to be truly thankful for all we have - we are embarking on a 24 day pumpkin eating marathon!!
We began today with pumpkin soup.  
I baked the pumpkins whole in the oven - six pie pumpkins at a time fit into my oven. 
They finished baking after about an hour & a half at 350 degrees. Next I sliced them down the center & started dividing out the pumpkin.  I scooped out the seeds & center pulp for the chickens.  Then I scooped out all the great pumpkin meat into a large mixing bowl.  I froze part of the pumpkin, cooked with some tonight and saved some for use later this week.  We even fed the leftover pumpkin shells to the cattle so nothing was wasted.

Creamy pumpkin soup was what I made tonight.

Here's the recipe I followed.
As always I didn't follow the recipe fully, I left out the nutmeg simply because I didn't have any here.  But I added garlic during the simmering process and added a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream cheese at the end to the entire pot instead of everyone adding sour cream on their own.  It was such a hit that we didn't have enough for everyone to have all they wanted.  Next time I will make two batches of this at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment