Monday, December 6, 2010

Super Catch Up - Up to 195

It has been almost two months since I last posted.  I'm going to give us all credit for preparing at least 35 meals in that time.  We probably fixed more because we've really reduced the amount of eating-out that we've done lately.   

Our freezer is almost empty, so we are actually having to buy meat. In the last year we've eaten one cow, two deer and a couple of turkeys as well.  Our meals have been built around chicken and lots of pork, which is weird for us because we are not used to buying meat.

In the last few weeks we've eaten omelettes alot - #1 we have lots of eggs coming in from our chickens and #2 - omelettes are quick and healthy for us...especially when stuffed with lots of vegetables.

One brand new meal that I tried was sausage, gravy & grits.  I fixed a big pan of grits, browned some sausage with garlic and green pepper, then made a classic white gravy - only it was a little more savory becuase of the sauteed vegetables.  Then the entire meal was built in a bowl.  Layer of grits first, then the browned sausage and vegetables, then the gravy.  This meal was inspired by the classic shrimp and grits served on the eastern coast.  It was a hit with everyone but me because I'm just not crazy about sausage.

We've also had plain and simple meals, like pinto beans, cornbread, polska kielbasa and sauerkraut.  And just simple salmon patties with some sweet potatoes.

Tonight we will be having deer (Thanks Don!) with a warm potato salad and some spinach. 

It's been kinda' hard for me to adjust to not having the fresh vegetables from the garden - although we are still being spoiled with fresh tomatoes and greens!  I think since the cold has finally really set in - I will be able to quickly adjust to my winter favorite foods, like jambalaya (planned for tomorrow night) and lots of other hearty soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment