Monday, December 13, 2010

Meal 201

My sinuses have been stopped up for a couple of days, so today I wanted to fix something that I could really smell and taste!  You know that feeling?

I've got an amazing spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove that I'll either pour over pasta or turn into a lasagna.  It's browned ground beef, tomatoes, garlic and basil.  The garlic is from Athyleon & Lee's garden this year.  The basil is from Ed & Deanna Thompson.  They brought a "basil tree" to me one Sunday morning at worship and I spent that entire afternoon chopping up the leaves and freezing some, while hanging up other branches for drying. 

To freeze it I simply tore off the leaves and used the food processor to chop it up with some olive oil.  After that was done I filled ice cube trays with the chopped basil and froze them for later use.  I popped out one of those "cubes" today for the sauce & it seems wonderful simmering on the stove.

It is nice to live in the country where you can sometimes enjoy the bounty of friend's labors too!

No comments:

Post a Comment