Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Meal 25

This meal was a hit! 
I started with a variation on my famous mexican rice.  I actually got to learn some basic mexican cooking techniques years ago from a mexican women while in Houston.  I'll post the original recipe she taught me later when I actually do exactly what she did, but tonight I'm gonna' just tell you what I did, which was using what I had available!

In a large skillet with cover I added a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, enough to coat the pan well.  Heated the pan, then added about 1 cup of white rice.  The rice will kind of "saute" in the oil & turn an even brighter white, then it will start  to turn a kind of toasted color.  It will eventually burn if you let it, but before you reach that point, when all of it has changed color, add about 2 cups of water. Tonight I added to that one can of rotel & 3 chicken bouillion cubes.  Then you cover and let all that simmer until the rice is tender & all the water has evaporated.

I added chicken to it that I had sauteed with fajita seasoning....then I topped it with the BEST part, mexican white cheese dip from El Mazatlan!  I stopped by and picked that up on the way home, one of these days I'll try to make it myself, but today was not that day.

The only part of this meal that I didn't get done was that I had intended to saute some jalapenos after the chicken to add as a topping, but I was out of them & hadn't realized that.

Meal 25 done, 275 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment